1) IAS : Union Public Service Commission
Syllabus: A) Preliminary Examination General Studies Paper I – (200 marks) Duration: Two hours Current events of national and international importance.
History of India and Indian National Movement.
Indian and World Geography – Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World.
Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights,Issues, etc.
Economic and Social Development Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics,
Social Sector initiatives, etc.
General issues on Environmental Ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate Change – that do not require subject specialization.
General Studies Paper II – (200 marks) Duration: Two hours Comprehension
Interpersonal skills including communication skills;
Logical reasoning and analytical ability
Decision-making and problem-solving
General mental ability
Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) (Class X level),
Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. – Class X level)
English Language Comprehension skills (Class X level).
B. Main Examination: The written examination will consist of the following papers: Qualifying Papers: Paper- A Language – 300 Marks (One of the Indian Language to be selected by the candidate from the Languages included in the Eighth Schedule to the Constitution). Paper- B English: – 300 Marks *Papers to be counted for merit Paper- I Essay: – 250 Marks Paper- II General Studies–I: – 250 Marks (Indian Heritage and Culture, History and Geography otherworld and Society) Paper- III General Studies–II: – 250 Marks(Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International relations) Paper- IV General Studies –III: – 250 Marks (Technology, Economic Development, Bio‐diversity, Environment, Security and Disaster Management) Paper- V General Studies –IV: – 250 Marks (Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude) Paper- VI Optional Subject: – Paper 1 250 Marks Paper- VII Optional Subject: – Paper 2 250 Marks Sub Total (Written test) 1750 Marks Personality Test 275 Marks Grand Total 2025 Marks
2) PCS: Punjab Public Service Commission: Syllabus: A) Preliminary Examination Subject: Paper- I General Studies
Paper-II Civil Services Aptitude Test (CSAT)
Note: 1) Both the papers will be of objective type multiple choice questions.
2) Duration of each paper for preliminary examination will be two hours.
3) There will be no negative marking.
4) The question paper shall be bilingual and shall be printed in English
(Roma script) and Punjabi (Gurmukhi script) except for questions where candidates’ proficiency in language is to be tested.
5) The standard of questions would be to test the knowledge as is expected of a person who graduation level.
7) The Preliminary Examination is only a screening test for selecting candidates who would be eligible to take the Main Examination and the marks obtained in this Examination shall towards the merit of the candidates arrived at after the Main Examination.
B) Main Examination: 1) All papers shall be descriptive in nature and duration of each paper will be three hours.
2. The main competitive examination shall include seven compulsory papers.
3. Candidates will have the option to attempt all the papers, except the language papers in Punjabi or English medium.
4. Candidates exercising the option to answer Papers in Punjabi language may, if they so desire, give English version within brackets of only the description of the technical terms, if any, in addition to the version in Punjabi language.
1. Punjabi (in Gurumukhi Script) Compulsory (of 10+2 standard) : Marks 100 2. English Compulsory (of 10+2 standard) : Marks 100 3. Essay Marks 150 4. General Studies Paper-I (History, Geography and Society): Marks 250 5. General Studies Paper-II (Indian Constitution & Polity , Governance and International Relations): Marks250 6. General Studies Paper-III (Economy, Statistics and Security Issues) : Marks 250 7. General Studies Paper-IV (Science &Technology, Environment, Problem Solving & Decision Making): Marks 250 8. Interview: Marks 150 Grand Total: 1500
3) HAS: Himachal Pradesh Administrative Services 1) Preliminary Examination Preliminary examination consisting of 02 papers based on objective type (multiple choices) questions. Paper-I General Studies: This paper shall be of 200 marks and there shall be 100 objective type (Multiple choice) questions. Paper-II Aptitude Test This paper shall be of 200 marks and in this paper there shall be 100 objective type (multiple choice) questions. 2) Main Examination COMPLUSORY PAPERS 1) ENGLISH Objectives: This paper is designed to test candidates in the following:-
1. Comprehension of English Language
2. Correct grammatical expression
3. Clarity and precision in expression
Areas of Testing: Candidates will be tested in the following areas:
1. English Grammar – (20 Marks)
2. Usage and vocabulary – (20 Marks)
3. English Composition Letter / Application / Report / Note writing – (20 Marks)
4. Comprehension of unseen passages – (20 Marks)
5. Precis Writing – (20 Marks) Evaluation / Marking:
Credit will be given for the following:
1. Writing of précis, comprehension, composition and usage according requirements of format
2. Coherence and sequence in expression
3. Correctness of grammatical structures
4. Originality of thought and expression
2) HINDI IN DEVNAGRI SCRIPT: (i) Translation of an English passage into Hindi.
(ii) Translation of Hindi passage into English.
(iii)Explanation of Hindi passage in Prose and Poetry in the same language.
(iv) Composition (Idioms, corrections etc.)
3) GENERAL STUDIES Knowledge of current events of National and International importance and of such matter of every day observation and experience in their scientific aspects as may be expected of an educated person who has not made a special study of any scientific subject. The
paper will also include questions on Modern History (From 1857 onwards) of India, Indian Culture, Indian Polity, Indian Economy and Geography of India of such nature as candidates should be able to answer without special study and questions on the teachings of Mahatma Gandhi.
4) ESSAY Objective:
This paper is designed to test candidate’s (i) knowledge / awareness of a variety of subjects and (ii) their ability to compose a sustained piece of writing in the form of an essay.
Contents: A fair choice of topics covering
(i) current affairs
(ii) socio-political issues
(iii) aspects of culture and history, and (iv) reflective topics will be given to test the candidates’ understanding of these issues and their flair for expressing themselves in the English language.
Areas of Testing: This paper would test the following:
1. Ability to compose a well-argued piece of writing
2. Ability to express coherently and sequentially
3. Awareness of the subject chosen Evaluation / Marking:
Credit will be given for the following:
1. Observing established rules and format for essay writing
2. Grammatical correctness of expression
3. Originality of thought and expression
OPTIONAL SUBJECTS: 1 & 2
4)HPSC: Haryana Public Service Commission 1) Prelims GS+ Optional Subject GS: 1) Haryana GK
2) General Science
Mains Compulsory papers+ Optional Subject 2) Optional Subject: Sociology, Geography, Political Science, Punjabi literature.